Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wax on, wax off...or maybe not.

I thought that since I usually use my kids for comedic pleasure, I would put myself out there for a good laugh today. 

A few weeks ago, I went into my favorite Asian nail place to get my eye brows waxed.  The older lady in there is hilarious and pretty darn good for $8.  I have gone there before and have always had good luck.  Sometimes those places are hit or miss but I like this place because they are all sister or related somehow and are always fighting.  Quite entertaining.  One time I was part of their "FaceTime" with their daughter and new granddaughter. 

Anyway, the one thing I don't like is that they are very pushy.  They are like the drug dealers/bad car salesmen of the nail industry.  You walk in for a $15 manicure and when you leave, somehow your bill is $47 because along the way you've agreed to a hot rock massage, a pedicure and a flower on your big toe that you don't even really like.  I don't know how this happens.  They are talking and the next thing I know, I've said yes to a question I don't even understand.  Add $5 to your bill.  Then they ask if I want the flower on my toe, I say "No, I don't think so" and they bust out the thin brush and say "Ya ya, you need flower" and there's another $5.  They are tricky like that and let's be honest, I'm a big sucker and can't say no.  Even if I knew what they were talking about.

So this brings us to my waxing episode.  I went in to get my brows done.  That's all I ever get done.  $8 and I'm in and out in 5 min.  Well the owner was in there and I was pretty excited because she does the best.  I get up on the table and they proceed.  One, two, and I'm done.  Or so I thought.  She proceeds to tell me that I also need my lip done. Wha, what?  My lip?  Seriously?  Do I have a stash and not even know?  What?  So I say no thanks, I don't think that's necessary.  She said "Oh baby doll, yes, you need lip wax, you have lots and lots hair there"  Um, at this point I don't know if she wants another $6 or if I really have a stash.  I say no thanks, I think it's fine.  She said "Oh honey, you friends no tell you, you need lip waxed"  What??  Did my friends really not tell me.  Um beotches - you need to tell a girl if she has a stash.  So you know what I did - I got my lip waxed.  And it hurt.  Bad.  If they could give me a face epidural, I would have gotten one.  She proceeds to show me the "hairy" wax strip and I didn't see anything but that could have been because there were tears rolling out of my eyes.  I paid my money and left.  (Note - I immediately asked my friends and they assured me I did not have a mustache and they would tell me if I did).

So about 3 weeks have passed and a friend mentioned that she just uses the Sally Hansen wax strips from Wal-Mart and does her face herself.  20 strips for $5 sounds great to me so I pick up a box. 

At this point, I would just like to point out that I am a huge wimp.  Not even kidding.  Ask any nurse that was within 3 miles when I gave birth to Bobby (with an epidural I might add).  Huge wimp, not gonna lie about it.  If I ever get "the sugar" as my grandma used to call it, I will have to have home health come and prick my finger or administer insulin because I won't be able to do it myself.   I'm sure my husband would be willing to jab me with needles but I think I'd have to hire a professional. 

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought these wax strips.  I guess I wasn't thinking.  When I go somewhere and get waxed, it's quick and over before I can think too much about it.  So I get all ready, I put the little piece of wax strip on and then....Oh snap - who's gonna yank this baby off?  I mean, I can't do it.  I'm home alone and I'm pretty sure our dog can't do it.  Do I sit with a wax strip on my face for 8 hours until the kids get home and just have them yank it off.  As tempting as that sounds, I had places to go.  So I take a few deep breath and 1, 2, 3....nothing.  Another deep breath, a few paces around the bedroom, 1, 2, 3, .....I can't do it.  My palms are sweating.  I do a little corner test and yeah, it's gotta be one quick pull or it's going to be even worse.  I have friends I can call but I'm pretty sure they would think I was ridiculous and I haven't showered and am pretty scary.  Not to mention, they'd probably piss themselves when I opened the door with a wax strip on my forehead. 

So eventually, I did pull the strip off.  It hurt.  Bad.  I'm not gonna lie, my eyes watered.  A lot.  I did save some money but I wasted 1 (or maybe 2) hours.  It wasn't nearly as entertaining as the nail place but hopefully it's been entertaining for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment