Monday, February 27, 2012

The birthday card

This past weekend was my birthday.  Once you're a mom, your own birthday really isn't a big deal.  For my kid's birthday, I go all out. I plan everything from the invite to the menu to the favors.  But when it's my own birthday, it's just another day.  However, your kids still think your day should be special. 

I'm going to be totally honest here and admit that I take full advantage of it.  I like to play the "birthday card".  Admit it, you know you all do it.  As a mom, I like to try and keep everyone happy.  Sometimes this means that I don't always get my way.  I'm okay with that.  But on my birthday, I can use the birthday card at any time.

For example:

Kids are fighting.  All I have to say is "It's my birthday" and they immediately stop.

Trying to take a nap and the kids are loud.  All I have to say is "It's my birthday" and all is quiet.

I don't want to watch Wildman on Animal Planet or Spongebob.  All I have to say is "It's my birthday" and Food network is turned on.

So you get the point.  It's quite wonderful actually. As moms, we very rarely get our way (my husband is rolling his eyes right now) so we have to take advantage of it when we can.  And you know what, my kids were fine with it.  They were very eager to please me on my special day.  Maybe I am teaching them to be a little selfish but shouldn't one day a year be all about you?

So if it's your birthday, take full advantage.  Your kids will love making you happy.  I know for the next 364 days, I will be planning for my next special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment