Thursday, September 15, 2011

Breastfeeding 101

This past weekend, we were able to introduce my son to his new cousin.  My brother and his wife recently had the most beautiful baby girl.  Now my daughter was 4 when her brother was born so she remembers most of the baby "stuff" so she didn't ask any questions.  However, for my 6 yr. old son, this is the first baby that he can remember coming into the family.  He was full of questions ranging from how does the baby breath to how does it come out?  Luckily, most of the were answered pretty vaguely and we changed the subject.

While we were visiting, my sister in law had to feed the baby.  Since she is breastfeeding, she went into the baby's room and closed the door for a little privacy.  My son was a little mad he wasn't invited in but then again he was also mad that we wouldn't let him carry a 6 lb. 2 week old baby around the house so I just blew it off.

A few days later he asked why he wasn't allowed to give the baby her bottle.  I explained that she didn't take a bottle because his aunt was breastfeeding.  (Thinking back I should have just said "Because it wasn't your turn" but no, I had to go and be honest.)  Of course, breastfeeding is a new word that needed explanation.  He immediately began firing questions at me.

What is breastfeeding?  Well son, when a mom has a baby, God puts milk into her boobs for the baby.
Why?  Well that's how God made mommies.
Can Dad's have milk in their boobs?  No, because they can't have babies.
How does the milk come out?  Well, the baby has to suck on the mommy just like a bottle and the milk comes out.
WHAT?  ARE YOU JOKING ME MOM?  No son, it's not a big deal.
Did I do that when I was a baby?  Yes, but only for a few weeks.
WHAT?  (he's now gagging over the garbage can)  THAT IS SO DISGUSTING!  WHY DID YOU MAKE ME DO THAT?  Because it's really healthy for babies.
MOM - SERIOUSLY THAT IS SO SO GROSS (still gagging).

By this point, I'm pretty sure I've scarred him for life but I'm still cracking up.  I change the subject and tell him to go play.

About an hour later he comes in the kitchen.

Mom - that milk that's in her boobs???  Can anyone take a drink of that???

UMMM - NO.  Do not ask your aunt for a drink of breast milk.  That is just special for the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment