Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Can we make this a thing?


My 20th wedding anniversary is this fall.  20 years.  It seems like just yesterday we were walking around our local Ace Hardware with a clipboard and pencil registering for skillets and bakeware.  Yes, I'm that old that they only had the registry scanner at Target.  My husband had a field day scanning everything from new towels, dishes, pots and pans and all the stuff we needed to build our home together.  We were young and in love.  And broke. In all honestly, we registered for exactly what we needed and nothing frivolous because we really just needed the cash to pay for the wedding.  We had very generous friends and family at my shower and the wedding.  I remember thinking, where in the world will we put all of this stuff.  Our apartment cabinets and closets were filled with all of our new goods and fluffy towels and we made our life together.

And now, here we are, 20 years later and we need new stuff.  I noticed today while folding laundry that my towels are getting frayed.  I put dishes away and saw a few chipped plates.  Our toaster takes way too long to toast.  And my silverware, well it's no longer a matched set.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to even have these things and very fortunate that I can go out and replace said items as needed but it got me thinking, I could really use another bridal shower.

It seems like just about everything gets celebrated these day.  From baby moons to push presents, sprinkles for your second child, new grandma showers, the list keeps growing.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good party and picking just the right gift.  I missed the boat on these because I had my kids back in 2001 and 2005, ya know, when your baby was the actual push gift and you had to buy your own stuff for your second baby, even if it was a different gender.  So since I missed out on those, I think we need to come up with an anniversary shower. Can we make this a thing?

Stay with me here for a minute.  You've been married for 20 years.  You are most likely at a point in your relationship where you are a homeowner.  You have kids, a mortgage, bills, college tuitions looming on the horizon and ratty towels.  You've made it through adjusting to each other, new babies, the toddler years to the teen years, you're now a united from and need new dishes to prove it.
Wouldn't it be amazing to have a shower at this age?  Think of how sensible you'd be when registering.  Who needs fancy china you only use once a year?  Not me, I'd like the plain white indestructible Corelle please!  And super thick towels that take seven hours to dry?  Nope!  Use your Kohl's cash and get me some cheap ones! I could even register on Amazon for those of you that like to shop from your couch.  It's like a dream come true...speaking of which, we need new pillows too. 

My husband and I didn't have a honeymoon and I always said that for our 20th anniversary, we'd go to Hawaii.  Well that's not happening and we are more likely to be in a carb coma after a meal at Biaggi's, so I think y'all need to make this anniversary shower a thing before September.  I mean, a girl can dream of a fancy rotating waffle iron, can't she? 

No comments:

Post a Comment