Friday, December 22, 2017

Merry Christmas from the Rowlands

Typically by now my Christmas cards have been signed, sealed and delivered.  I would have spent time putting together outfits, picking just the right layout on the card, a funny saying, well you get the point.  This year that just didn't happen.  We did make one attempt. The only one that looked good was the dog.  We ran out of time to try again and really, it just wasn't worth the fight.  Also, if you are reading this, you are on facebook and know what we all look like anyway.

The holidays snuck up on me this year.  I hate when people say that because really, it's not like the date changes.  But this year was busier than normal and before I knew it, it was December 20th and there was still a lot to be done!  So I'm taking the easy way out and just sharing our Christmas letter via a blog post.  Plus, I haven't blogged in a while and my 7 followers are probably sad about that.

So if you are one of those people thinking...oh great, another braggy Christmas letter, mine isn't quite like that.  It's more real life.  And if you still don't like Christmas letters, then don't read it and just know that we are wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  For those of you that would like to know the little details of our lives and a review of our year, read on.

Let's see - where to start.

Libby is now 16.  She got her license in April.  I cried the first time she drove away by herself but quickly downloaded the Life 360 app and stalked her every move.  Yes, I'm that mom.  And yes, I'm okay with it.  She went to prom in the spring and started her junior year in the fall.  She was the chair of the homecoming committee and is a planner like her mama.  She's now at the age where talks of college and future plans are happening.  I don't like it one bit but am excited to see what her future holds.  She is a typical teen and some days is super snotty.  Luckily, those days are fewer and far between and she's mostly sweet.  She babysits often, is sometimes nice to her brother and loves spending time with her friends, gets good grades, watches Netflix and LOVES makeup.  She doesn't like to admit it but she's stubborn like her dad.  Overall, she's a great kid and we wouldn't trade her for anything.

Bobby is 12 and at that goony middle school age.  He doesn't really like school but still manages to get good grades.  If only he put in half the effort his sister did!  He loves all things hands on from computer building to woodworking to electronics.  His brain works very differently than mine and most days he amazes me. Usually, I have to remind him to wear deodorant but his knowledge of random facts is remarkable.  I'm pretty sure his Christmas list this year would get us on an FBI watchlist and I had no idea what most of it was.  His breadbox for his 4H woodworking project got all the highest awards at both the County and the State fair.  He played soccer this fall and is in the STEM group at school.  He loves riding his bike all over town and working out in the garage building stuff.  He is so much like RJ in the way he thinks outside the box and comes up with solutions.  And he's also always right...just like his dad.

RJ is busy as ever between his own projects (check out my new entertainment center on FB) and helping Bobby with his projects.  He's slowly checking stuff off my pinterest boards and I couldn't be happier.  He will be starting a new job in January as the Welding Instructor at DACC.  While he's loved his time at Parkland, he's very excited about this new opportunity.  He's been busy finishing up at his current job all while making plans for his new one.  He will probably have summers off too which is going to be an adjustment for all of us.  Bobby is hoping that means a new camper but Libby and I are still crossing our fingers for a boat instead! 

I decided to go back to school this year which was an adjustment for everyone.  Mom wasn't available to do every single thing.  If you watch The Goldberg's...it was a "Bevolution!"   I enjoyed my classes way more than I thought I would even though most of the young punks drove me crazy.  I wish I had been this focused at 19.  I have two more classes this spring and then I'm not sure what I will do from there.  I'm still doing freezer meals and have started volunteering with the Canteen Run.  Libby has forbid me from being too active in the HS but Bobby still likes me to help at his school on occasion. 

2017 was a year of many emotions for all of us.  There were lots of highs and lows.  We plan to end the year on a high and leave soon for a trip to Anna Maria Island.  I'm hoping maybe while we are there, I can get that one good family photo but I'm not counting on it! 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to each and every one of you!

Love,
Dana (and the rest of the clan who probably won't even read this)








No comments:

Post a Comment