Friday, October 17, 2014

My dirty little secret

I have this little (uh hmm...okay big) secret.  Or it could be seen more as a problem.  I guess it's not really a secret because some people know about it.  And maybe it's more of an obsession?  Either way, I needed an intervention this past week.  Here it is....

I am *slightly* obsessed with office and craft supplies.  Yes, you are laughing at me.  That's okay, we all have our problems.  Acceptance is the first step.  

I'm not a big shopper.  I don't love clothes, fancy shoes or expensive purses.  I could care less about going to the mall or buying designer things.  But get me in a Staples or a Hobby Lobby and my supply lovin' heart pitter patters a little quicker!   And don't even get me started on kitchen supply stores....I have to limit myself on that heart thumping exposure!

Staples is my go to for office supplies.  No, I don't have an office or even work in one.  There's something about all the organizational possibilities in there, the different colored paper and labels for everything.  Magnets, markers, post-its...oh my!  I went in yesterday for a new wall calendar and had to really practice self control around all the super cute chevron notebooks that were on clearance! And don't even get me started on Sharpies.  If I didn't already have every color, I may have bought a few more.  They make everything bright and cheery.  
I love me some sharpies!

And when I go into places like Hobby Lobby, I just see so many cool projects.  I want to do them all. The problem with said projects is that I always have supplies left over.  I love to make hair bows but when you only need about 10 inches from a 3 foot spool, there are always leftovers.  

So why am I telling you all this....it's leading to the big problem.....THE CLOSET!!!  So you are wondering where I keep my stash of office supplies and craft supplies?  I don't have an office or a craft room yet I have all the supplies for one.  I've gotten WAY better and really only buy what we need now.  I like to buy school supplies on clearance and then I have them throughout the year as markers run out, things get broke, etc.  But then all the half used items come home in June and also get shoved in the closet.  Plus it's where we also keep games and books.  Add all this together with the kids rifling through it and shoving items back where ever they may fit and the closet gets SCARY!  In fact, by the end of summer, it was so scary and such a mess, you couldn't close the door.   Every fall I have to reorganize the closet and get rid of stuff that no longer works, is missing pieces, or is just junk.  I haven't done this in a long time.  It was out of control.  I'm pretty sure I had craft supplies in there from when my daughter was still doing Girl Scouts.  (she hasn't done scouts in 3 years.)  An intervention was needed.  And since I share embarrassing things about my kids, I thought it was only fair to post a picture of my horrendous closet.  We like to keep it real.  (this is also for all my friends who always say "your house is always so clean")

My OCD mom is now disowning me. 

So that's what it had become.  It was a hot mess.  Nothing could be found.  You can tell that things were just shoved in and then the door was closed.  Things were falling out.  It was bad.

It took several hours and two garbage bags.  It wasn't pretty.  It wasn't pretty at all.  I'm not sure how I had accumulated over 60 spools of ribbon and 23 additional folders.  I'm also pretty sure I won't have to buy school supplies next year.  Or until the youngest goes to college.  Anyone need Mod Podge because I have 3 jars.  On a happy note, my bedazzler and the heating pad were both located.   Luckily, one person's hoarding can become someone else's bargain.  I was able to sell lots of my accumulations!

Hallelujah!  Hallelujah!  Hallelujah!!

Yes folks, that's the after picture.  Ahhhhh!  It's so organized!  I just open the door and stare at it.  To say we got rid of a lot is kind of an understatement.  I think if we haven't used the 3 red craft pom poms in 4 years that I was saving, we probably won't need them.   Yesterday I was in Staples and Hobby Lobby and didn't buy a single thing except the one calendar I needed.  Progress.  We won't mention all the things I'm obsessing over at Bed Bath and Beyond.  That's a whole other post.





No comments:

Post a Comment